With countless sites allowing a doctor to get rated anonymously, it’s easy for a physician to conclude the web is against them, and filled with negative posts and bad mouthing.
Case in point, at a recent conference I heard a leader within a major medical organization declare that “online cosmetic surgery forums are just made up of gripers and complainers!”
What we’ve seen is that the majority of discussions revolve around the emotional needs people have before deciding on a doctor or procedure. The following statements on RealSelf.com illustrate this:
• Support: Thank you much everyone for your support…You all went with me into surgery and continue to be with me as I recover.
• Companionship: Even though I have had full support from my family, it has been wonderful knowing that I am not the only one that has had this done.
• Coaching: Don’t worry too much about what others are going to think. It’s what you want and you’re doing it to make yourself feel more confident.
• Privacy: thanks for the info, I’ve never told anybody of my desire to have this done, its like its my own private place.
• Paying it forward: I will review everything that I have had done or tried. I do believe that it’s important for others to hear peoples experiences and am happy to share mine so that I can hopefully help others with making the right decision for them.
• Overcome anxiety: This has helped to alleviate the fears and concerns that I have. Were it not for this site and you ladies talking about your personal experiences I am not sure that I would ever have the guts to go through with it.